What is Acne?
Acne is a common skin disorder that can cause devastating effects. Spots form on the skin that becomes inflamed, appearing commonly on the face and neck but can also appear on the body. These spots can range from tiny whiteheads to large red cysts, sometimes leaving heavily dented scars, treated separately, on the skin surface. Acne can be painful, uncomfortable and can affect confidence and lower self esteem.
Why does Acne occur?
There is no direct reason as to why this may occur but can usually stem from hormonal changes. The skin layer contains embedded hair follicles, which have sebaceous glands. These are responsible for producing an oily substance known as sebum. When there is an increased amount of sebum, this leads to enlargement of the gland resulting in a spot formation. Overproduction of sebum can be triggered by an abnormal reaction to the gland, usually by the male hormone Testosterone. This is why occurrence is usually at puberty when the levels of testosterone increase in both boys and girls.
Acne usually affects pubescent teenagers but can also occur in adults. Factors contributing to the onset of Acne are:
- Menstrual cycle
What treatments for Acne are available?
Acne can leave the skin ravaged with deep pitted scars and this can cause great distress to the sufferer. Most people who experience this seek options to improve the scarring for aesthetic reasons. However active acne must be eliminated before treating the scars as treatment for scarring will not be effective if there is still active acne.
Our expert team lead by dermatologists have been treating Acne sufferers successfully for over 20 years. Our medical experts will provide you with the right advice and a course of treatments designed to meet your individual needs.
- Laser Treatment can be used for more than just hair removal. At Miravue Skin our Doctors diagnose and administer the correct type of laser according to your condition.
- Dermaroller can treat the appearance of acne scars.
- Deep cleansers that will provide relief from the symptoms of Acne. Skin Peels
- Skin Fillers
- Products that are applied to the surface of the skin. Topical Products
- Treatment or Medication that effects your entire body or system not just one localised area. Normally taken orally. Prescribed oral and topical medications